Monday, January 6, 2014

The Big Reveal...puttin' it altogether...

I had the most delightful surprise on New Years' Eve.  I just happened to check facebook around 10 p.m. and found that Bonnie Hunter had released the final clue and the big reveal for Celtic Solstice at 9 p.m. my time (just after the ball dropped in Time Square in New York at midnight Eastern time).

Funny how many guesses I had and how wrong I was about the final layout.  But I was totally delighted to see the final pattern.  It's just gorgeous.  I absolutely love it!  And best of all, all the anxiety I felt about my colours was in vain as they work just fine!

You can read about the last step and the reveal HERE.

As always, all those itty bitty parts come together beautifully to make a stunning quilt design.

7 of my friends in my satellite group met together this past Saturday, January 4th for a Celtic Solstice Sewing Day.  Here are a few pictures of that day and what we accomplished:

Let's start with mine.  I had a few done before I arrived.

These are on the design wall.

My production line.  Started with the pinwheel row then added the top and bottom rows.  

Teresa's scrappy version

Pat's.  She also used yardage.

Jeanine's.  Her four patches were perfect at exactly 3.5".  I was so impressed!

Carol's Tri-recs.  Gorgeous colours!

Mary's fabrics.  She's starting soon.  She brought her fabrics to show us.

Sharlene's.  She chose her colours from a paint swatch of coordinated colours at Home Depot.  Smart!

Some of Sharlene's units.

I think we are all going to have very interesting and very different quilts.  We all said how much we loved this pattern created by Bonnie Hunter.  Sharlene and I are making the king size.  I think all the others are making the smaller version.  But we are all having the same amount of fun, fun, fun!

Until next time,

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Almost caught up with Celtic Solsice

How great it has been to have Christmas week off from work.  Now that Christmas is over and my time in the kitchen is paying dividends with turkey leftovers, I've been spending some time getting caught up on Celtic Solstice.

Step 1 is all done - 380 tri recs units in total.

Step 2 is all done - 244 chevrons in total

Step 3 is all done - 488 half square triangles out of which I made 61 pinwheels

Step 4 - 10/300 four patches are done.  But I realized that I had the wrong colours in my four patches so back to the drawing (sewing) board.

They should be brown and the rusty/orange.

Step 5 is done - 244 split triangle units in total.

I've actually started a second one in the smaller size  but it's been all I could do to keep up with one.  I'll finish the second one as time permits.

Step 1

Step 2 (only 1 chevron done - the one on the right)

I was glad not to have cut out all the pieces for Step 2 because there was a tutorial for a strip piecing method which I think will go much quicker.  PLUS...I am waiting for the arrival of my new Accuquilt GO cutter and am hoping to do some of the cutting for the second quilt with it.

So that's all the progress on these quilts.  I'm almost caught up which, given this is a king sized quilt, is pretty amazing.  I don't want it to languish on my design wall for as long as Easy Street did.  So wish me luck!

Until next time...which is probably the next clue.