Saturday, October 10, 2009

Celtic Knot...the reveal

I am extremely happy with my celtic knot king-sized (and I'm talkin' massive!) quilt. Before borders it measures 107". There will be no other borders. I spoke with my long-armer and there is a limit to the width (best not over 110-115" inches). So, the big decision, to border or not to border?? I decided against a border.

I don't want anything to distract from the beauty of the knot. Also with a quilt this size the border would have to be sizeable to look balanced. Besides, 107" covers my bed well with a great overhang past the top mattress. So...decision made. No additional border.

Funny story...I couldn't wait to get the quilt to Arlene for quilting so my DH drove me out after church last Sunday. We were all ooing and awing at the quilt and then Arlene peeps up..."oops". It seems there was a white square where a blue one should be (I'm not going to point it out on the picture...sort of like a "where's Waldo?" puzzle. You can see if you spot it yourself!). Oh dear...back home the quilt top goes where I hang it over the railing and admire it until I can muster the gumption to attack it.

I am now of the opinion that it's a good thing to let your quilts percolate for awhile after the top is done before they are quilted. Here's my reason. One night while I was passing by this quilt as it lay (still) draped over the railing, you know what popped out when I wasn't even looking for it?? Another misplaced colour. I've looked at this quilt hundreds of times and didn't spot the error until I wasn't looking for it. The brain is a fascinating thing isn't it?

Anyway, one of my goals this weekend is to fix these two squares and then on Tuesday evening I will present it at my guild meeting and then give it to Arlene after the meeting. I am going to have it quilted with Fairfield Tuscany Collection batting. I've never used it before and am venturing into new territory. I've always been partial to Warm & Natural but decided that because of the price of this one (something like $30 for a king-sized batting), that I would give it a try.

So, enough talk already...here's the quilt with the booboos still on it. I just love it! Hope you do too.
here it is hanging on the railing:

7 comments:

  1. I am so far behind everyone in getting mine done. It is next on the list for when I need to just have a sewing day. I love your colors, I went similar but more yellows. Thanks for the motivation to get mine back out. i am loving this pattern and know I will make others. It was wonderful of the gals to share it with us. be good cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it makes me speechless. Such a wonderful Quilt.

    You can be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I found your blog and I love the Celtic Knot Quilt. Now I am thinking I might like to make one. I got my no sew blocks cut out today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Celtic Knot Quilt!!! I wanted to introduce myself, I am a member of your R/W/B No Sew Quilt Block swap!!

    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got to get cutting on the no sew quilt block. I forgot for about a week there. Oops! I'm in a cutting mood so maybe today!!

    ReplyDelete