Monday, April 5, 2010

and the battles rages on...

in my soul, that is.  I tried a friend's quilting machine (which is comprised of a Little Gracie II and a Janome 6600).  She can do a baby quilt in 1-2 hours.  I visited yesterday and even got to test drive on a charity quilt she is working on. It was great fun!  I came home wanting that or a long arm...again. Sigh.  But I had to see it.  Isn't that what it's like?  You don't want a new car until you go for that test drive...and then you're sunk unless you have the willpower of ..well I don't know what or who, but you get my point. 


I've been working very hard at being content, I really have, but for the last 24 hours all I can think about it how to get my own long-arm.  I really thought I was settled about this.  We simply don't have the cash right now, so practically speaking, it's not going to happen.  But then why this sudden onslaught of lust after what I cannot have?  I repent...I will be content.  And if I really need to try it out, my friend has offered to let me take a quilt to her place and test it on her machine.  That's good enough for me!

One hopeful option for my quest (or non-quest depending on my state of mind at the time) - I am married to a mechanical/woodworking genius.  My dear husband is pondering building me the quilting frame.  With my Janome 6500 I would have the equivalent, basically, of my friend.  Wouldn't that be nice...but for now I will wait.

And there ends today's rantings.  Time to go play some more on my handquilting project.

Mavis

3 comments:

  1. Never hurts to dream and dreams are cheap. My husband and I have discussed it to, but I will wait until a better time. Hope your husband can come up with a design for one and he can market it to others. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out quilting with a friends machine, I would take my tops over there and help her finish hers and then practice on mine. She was older and it took her longer to sew so she was happy for the assistance. I was thrilled for the hands on experience. I eventually bought my own machine and 14 ft frame for $1000! I have quilted almost 1000 tops in the past 10 yrs so it has more then paid for itself. When I see the newer machines I just can seem to justify the price. I am limited as to what I can do on mine but figure it is many times more convient than not having it. I hope you find what helps you accomplish your goals. cw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO enjoying the hand quilting process. A little bit every night (or a lot depending on my energy at the end of the day)and it begins to take shape. I'm already finished the inner blocks; I'm currently working on the setting triangles (nice tulips with swirls) and the small pink border (a rolling curved line - for lack of a better description). So nice.

    ReplyDelete