Saturday, November 26, 2011

My First Quilt...

Bonnie Hunter is sharing her first quilt on her blog post here with some great stories and picture from her childhood.

My first sewing memories were from a home economics class.  I didn't exactly take to it like a fish to water but successfully finished the required projects.  My first machine was a Kenmore.  I must have liked sewing though because I made lots of my own clothes as a young woman.  And I made lots of PJs and clothes for my two kids as well.

I had a neighbour at our last house/neighbourhood who was a quilter.  She was offering some ladies in our neighbourhood free quilting lessons.  She provided the pattern so I just had to follow the shopping/supply list and tools and then show up.  This was my first experience with a rotary cutter and mat, with contrasting fabrics that weren't all matchy, matchy.  Plaids with polka dots...really?  Anyway, we had a couple of lessons with Lisa and then I managed to finish the quilt by myself.

And here is my first quilt:


Stitched in the ditch for quilting and a machine sewn binding which did not wrap around.  I actually entered it into the Saanich Fair for 'my first quilt category' and won second prize.  I was astonished!

Anyway, this quilt was made for my son, now 20,  and it's an almost twin size  I still have this quilt.

Until next time,
Mavis

1 comment:

  1. That was nice of your neighbour to teach everyone. It looks really well made for a first quilt.

    ReplyDelete