Thursday, May 26, 2022

Towards a Simpler Life

It occurred to me this morning, while driving yet another load of electronics recycling to the depot, that as we walk through this life we collect so much stuff.  I know...Thank you Captain Obvious!

In the past week I have donated quilts to people who needed them more than I need to keep them, books I've never read to thrift store, and patterns I have never made to guild contacts.  I am the common denominator in all of these scenarios.  So what exactly does this tell me?  It tells me that the urges to acquire beautiful things, or interesting things, is stronger than the sensibility to resist those urges.


In the past months as we have come to the conclusion as a family that less is more, adventure is preferable to things, and some hard work needs to be done to minimize.

Our new mantra is:

Share, Shed, or Store ???


Shedding began with the closet as I dispensed with all of the manmade fibers.  All of that polyester is gone!  This came after a revelation that natural fibers are better for the skin (our biggest organ after all...) so my almost 100% linen wardrobe is much smaller and so much healthier. And I'm quite sure I saw someone in the grocery store wearing my favourite polyester tunic. LOL

Shedding then reached to my sewing room.  This was a bigger problem than my wardrobe.  All that cotton is NATURAL but will I ever use it all?  More hard questions. Oh my goodness.  What a job!  And we still have a ways to go on this one.

Sharing was the easiest part.  Giving to someone in need is always a good thing and my daughter was able to help a single mom fleeing an abusive marriage with a lot of her belongings and I was able to rehome some quilts to her as well.  The rest of my quilts for sharing went via my guild who will pass them on to those in need of quilty hugs.  

Ah...storing...I'll cut to the quick...storing costs money.  As we ponder this one we will commit to bringing less home and enjoying minimalism.  Check back with me in a few months and I'll let you know how we are doing.  The lust of the eyes is a big one!

Back to the scanner I go.

Mavis



1 comment:

  1. So very true. I have been trying to do the same thing. Finding new homes for things I will never use again. I donated fabric to the local jail, as I discovered they had sewing going on there. And yes the books.... oh so many. I rehomed some to the local library book store. And it continues.....

    ReplyDelete