Sunday, February 20, 2011

PIGS and UFOs and me on a Quilt Diet...

P.I.G.S. = Projects in Grocery Sacks

UFOs = Unfinished Objects

I have them and I'm quite sure you have them too. I need to make a new acronym for the stacks and stacks of ideas for new quilts in my head and on my worktable (magazines flagged, books marked, printouts from the web). Can you relate?

How about HIPS??
HUNDREDS OF IDEAS PILING SKYWARD
I like it!

I'm feeling quite overwhelmed with life at the moment, including my quilt life. I'm sure I'm not alone with the thought that quilting is therapy. I'm there. I find hand-quilting very therapeutic except for the fingertips afterward (I hate thimbles much like I hate gardening gloves). I spent about 4 hours in front of the TV with my daughter yesterday. She was knitting and I was hand-quilting my Super Bowl quilt. I love to see the fruits of my labour on projects like this. It's measureable; it's satisfying.

So why am I feeling so anxious today? Good question and simple answer...too much on my plate. Too many responsibilities and while I hate to admit it, too many PIGS, UFOS and HIPS.

The remedy? S L O W D O W N !!!! Work on one thing at a time. Don't start any new projects or sign up for any more mystery quilts (my weakness). Enjoy what I'm doing in the moment. Don't make quilting like WORK!! Don't RUSH. Enjoy the process.

I'm a driven personality. I'm not happy sitting still. I need to be doing something. Can't help it; it's the way I'm wired. Hand-quilting lets my body rest but keeps my mind busy. But sometimes it looks like so far to go because I'm thinking about it as a FINISHED project, ready to sell. Sounds like work doesn't it? I'm doing a studio tour in May and because I thought this quilt would be for sale I subconsciously set myself a deadline and put my headspace into RUSH mode. Does that create anxiety? I would say so.

As for the rest of life's responsibilities, it's time to take stock, do one thing at a time, shed what I don't have to do, and reward myself with some playtime in my studio, or in front of the TV again working on my hand-quilting.

But for now...No more new projects! There...it's committed in writing.

Until next time,

Mavis

1 comment:

  1. I so know what you're talking about and that was one of the reasons I hesitated beginning to quilt. Have so much on my plate that I didn't want to add more... I know how I pressure myself to get it done NOW! I limit myself to two projects "in the works" and finished my only PIT (project in tote) this weekend. I do admit to have projects lined up in my head... *lol*

    ReplyDelete