Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Farewell Barcelona (Aug 31)

This morning we wandered to find some breakfast on our way to the meeting point for the bus tour to Sagrada Familia.

We were able to photograph it outside when we first arrived in Barcelona and had our hop on/ hop off tour.  But I've been anxious to get inside based on what I've seen of his exterior architecture.

And I wasn't disappointed!  I actually was moved to tears when I entered this church.  It is not a cathedral because it does not have a sitting bishop.  I didn't know that before.

I was speechless at the light that entered through its windows.  A virtual rainbow from yellow through to blue/green on one side and from yellow through to orange and red on the other wise.  Our tour guide Anna-Louisa was extraordinary and she explained the symbolism of the colours.  The yellow/blue/green side represents nature.  The red represents the blood of Christ.








There is too much to really explain about this place and its designer but if you are interested in finding out more about Antoni Gaudi, I'm sure google will help you.

One thing Anna-Louisa did mention was that Antoni Gaudi was in line to be sainted but it could take 40 years.   She said that his qualifying 'miracle' was that he interceded for a blind young girl whose site was restored.  I think this building is a miracle.  The mathematical genius of the architecture, coupled with his understanding of light left me awestruck.  In my books, this was the most beautiful building of the entire trip, and we saw some gorgeous buildings.

We have to get up at 3:00 a.m. to find our way to the airport for our 6:30 a.m. flight home, so for now, Arrivederci! Au Revoir! and Good Bye!

Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment