Sunday, January 2, 2022

Slow Stitching Recap - La Passion Hexagon Quilt

This one is the hand sewing project that never ends and doesn't have a deadline.  I try not to compare myself with other EPPers (english paper piecers) who can get this particularly "involved"
quilt with over 17,250 hexagons in it done in months.  Some have done multiples.  🤯

This is the picture that started the love affair with this quilt and I knew that even if it took my lifetime, I wanted to do it.



My design idea has morphed during its tenure.  I was going to start it as a scrappy project but was fighting my internal control mechanisms.  A few years back, a friend who is also doing this quilt came with me to the fabric store where we decided together on a controlled palette for mine.  It has been a journey and some unpicking and replacing of original pieces but it's firmly underway now.


(NOT MY WORK)
This was a scrappy one I saw online which inspired me to go scrappy... until I decided not to.

This project has travelled with me as far away as the Mediterranean on a quilt cruise in 2016, on an Alaskan cruise, a few camping trips with family and a couple of quilting retreats.  It's a perfect project for outdoor summer sewing, but also for inside fireside sewing.  It's somewhat perfect for movie watching as long as there are no subtitles that require reading.  

And one hexie at a time I am getting there. And yes, I'm enjoying the journey with no deadline in sight.


2014 when it all began



Notice the change of the center flowers.  I took out the purple ones (above) and replaced them all orange (below)



At this point it stalled for quite awhile.  I needed the impetus of a quilt cruise to pull it out and give it some love I guess.  After all, Bonnie Hunter would have her hexies on the boat and I wanted to see hers and show her mine.  We were doing a hand hexie project on the cruise too.

 As I scrolled through my photos to write this post, I realize that I've really only begun in earnest to work on it frequently during 2020 and 2021.  Hmmmm. How strange to coincide during a time when the world has gone crazy and I needed something to calm the nerves. But I'm giving myself a pat on the back for how far I've come on this quilt.





Now to fill in some parts


Keeping track of where they should go is a challenge.  Need to be micro focused!

Portable project.  Met with my friend Christine at my daughter's house for a sewing day.


Woohoo!  It's almost in a round!




Hexies while camping for Sukkot 2021



This is where it stands at Dec 31, 2021 (unless I get the bug to ring in the New Year with more).
Note: I'm setting this to post on January 2nd so anything could happen between now and then. 😉

These are photos that inspired me with my own colour and style choices:



My EQ rendition






How I've decided (for now) to finish mine. 💓💓 I love the colourwash ending.

And this is my friend Christine's project.  We are neck and neck (at least we were when I last checked in with her):


Christine is the one who helped me choose my fabrics (not shown - white)

Bottom right is dark navy batik.  And the rust looking one is actually more orange in real life.

So.....I hope you enjoyed following along on my slow stitching recap of my La Passion Hexagon quilt.  I intend on keeping at it.  After all, it deserves to be finished, and I deserve to take a bow for finishing 17,250 darn hexagons and getting it quilted.  That's the goal peeps.  Wish me well!

Until the next instalment!

Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment