Sunday, October 16, 2011

A new experience...

I've heard about people who see colours when they hear music.  I don't pretend to understand how that works.  I would think that it would be an amazing experience though.

But here's what happened to me last night.  I'd love to know if something similar has happened to you.  We were watching the end of a movie.  I was laying down with eyes closed (because I am fighting a cold).  The credits were rolling and the song playing was by Sting, called "Not the shape of my heart".  It's a hauntingly beautiful melody.  As I said, my eyes were closed and I was just listening to the song.  Suddenly as I heard the music and Sting moved from chorus to bridge and toward the end, I could see patterns!  It was like an art quilt with swirls and definitely some colours but the shapes were the important thing and it was fluid and moving and had 'grout' like stained glass windows dividing the different sections.  Oh how I wish I could put it into fabric! 

I told my husband about he and he got me a piece of paper and a pencil to see if I could draw what I could still see in my mind's eye.  As I tried to put the pencil to paper the image faded.  I would try drawing but it just wasn't what I saw in my mind's eye.

Oh well...I guess it was a gift to be enjoyed in that moment.  But I'm curious...has this ever happened to any of my fellow quilters?

No comments:

Post a Comment