Saturday, August 12, 2023

Answering the Call ... Quilts for Maui

I think by now we've all heard of the devastating fires in Maui. Today on Instagram, I saw a post by @quiltwithmisskate calling for quilts of comfort for residents of the island that have lost everything.

As I've thought about how I could help, it occurred to me that Bonnie Hunter has a free pattern which I believe would be a perfect Hawaiian-themed expression of love to the victims of the fires.  It's called Pineapple Blossom.  It has been on my 'to do someday list' for years.  I can't think of a more perfect moment to make this quilt.

Here is the link to the free pattern:  https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/pineapple-blossom.html






As you can see, it works well with so many different colors and fabrics. And it's a really simple block.  

I'm issuing a challenge and an opportunity.  Our shop in Cleveland, TN is going to be opening in a few short weeks.  We have a nice, bright classroom and I can think of no better way to break it in than with this charity quilt project. So check out our website at www.thestitcherytn.com and watch for an announcement.

Whether you can join us in person or from afar, contribute one block or a whole quilt top, we welcome you to pull out your 2" scraps and some neutrals and join us in making some quilts to ship to Maui.

Details to follow.  In the meantime, how about downloading Bonnie's free pattern, gathering those fabrics, and let's prepare to get sewing!

Sending love and prayers to the people of Maui.

Mavis




No comments:

Post a Comment