Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Come Sew with Me!!

Further to my last post about "answering the call for quilts for Maui",  I was pleased to see that Bonnie Hunter had some instructions inside the Pineapple Blossoms Free Quilt Pattern that included 2 1/2" strips rather than 2" strips.  Rather than making a 9 1/2" block, using jelly roll strips or 2 1/2" scrappy strips, the blocks are 12 1/2".  This is appealing when you want to make big bed quilts fast. 

I checked with Kate, the quilter on Maui that put the request out for comfort quilts, asking her what size quilts they need.  She said twin and larger for actual beds.  So the bigger the blocks, the quicker these quilt tops will get finished.

 I recently purchased a Kaffe Jelly roll from a local quilt shop here in Cleveland, TN.  Paired with a solid white I think these will be perfect for the Pineapple Blossom blocks.


I cut enough for one sample block to make sure I like it.  Then I pulled out Ferdinand, my Singer Featherweight, dusted him off from his long journey with our locker contents from Canada, and made sure that my seam allowance is 1/4".  For this, I use Bonnie's seam allowance ruler and then used some flourescent marking tape to mark the bed of my machine.  I tried the little seam allowance gadget from the Featherweight shop, but when you are doing folded corner stitching, it's awkward to have anything beyond a seam allowance butting up to it.  So I opted for the flourescent tape.






Here is my first test block...



It's a little wonky but I confess I didn't have my iron pulled out.  But I do now and the next blocks will be better.  So this block is 12 1/2"  and will finish 12" in the quilt.  I think it will be a great quilt and it's easy to assemble.

I've calculated that without borders and a setting of 7 blocks wide by 8 blocks wide, the quilt will be 84" wide by 96" long and will definitely cover a queen bed and amply cover a double bed.  That's 56 blocks.

Time to get busy!  I'd love for you join me in this charity project.  

Finished Quilts can be sent to:

Maui Quilt Shop
18 Central Avenue
Wailuku, HI  96793

Their post on Instagram says they will distribute to proper agencies and shelters.

If you are in Tennessee or can mail your quilt top to Cleveland, TN I will be happy to quilt up to 10 for free on my longarm if batting and backing are provided. Contact me for further details.

Mavis










9 comments:

  1. Thanks for making this beautiful quilt for those suffering from the fires in Maui!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one almost complete that I can donate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mavis, blessings! Thank you for sharing this and I can’t wait for the sun to rise so I can get started on some quilts for our Lahaina neighbors. Lots of love and prayer will go into these. I’m in Texas where it’s been extremely hot and a lightweight quilt is always on our bed. When we lived on the Gulf coast, we donated gift cards after hurricanes. Now that we’re full time RVing and I’m a RV Quilter, many of my quilts wrap my family in hugs…our Maui neighbors need some hugs and lots of prayers. Let their hearts not grow weary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im in Fla..Will see what blocksvI can put together..No longarm here. If I sew a few 12.5"blocks, who can take them.and sew into a quilt? Laurel Leary

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can send them to me. If you email or text me (info in the blog header) I will send you my address.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just sent a quilt off to Maui. Thank you for posting this and the information. I had a batik quilt under my needle so I finished and mailed it today and the bright batiks fit with a tropical theme. I’d post a picture but that seems to be unavailable on this link. It’s not a queen size but will probably fit a twin or something to cuddle with. I did put a label with the name of the pattern, my city name and washing instructions, I left my name off after googling what to put on labels of charity quilts. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! Bless you.

    ReplyDelete