Saturday, August 20, 2022

RV Quilting

Before we headed out on our RV adventure I prepared two "quilt kits" from my stash before putting the rest of my sewing room (pared down sewing room that is) in storage.  By kit I mean I pre-cut all the pieces so that they would be ready to sew when I had the time (between camping stops).  They are illustrated here on my Work in Progress page 

http://dayspringquilter.blogspot.com/p/ufos.html

at the bottom of the page.  Note:  I also brought my hexie project but the two Kathryn Kerr quilt UFOs are in storage for when we return.

Well, today I pulled out the Boxy Stars and finished the quilt top.  It wasn't without a few confusing moments.  I did two blocks before we moved.  I did them to 'test' the fabrics and then put them away safe in a container for the RV.

I worked on them in Arizona for a bit and yes I did have the pattern instructions with me.  It wasn't until today when I was finished putting the blocks together and was in pressing mode I noticed that two of these things are not like the others.  I thought I had made two booboos.

 


In fact I made 46 booboos.  It takes a special kind of talent to do that, I'm tellin' ya.

So with all the corners trimmed off already, these were set in stone and it was now time for a happy accident outcome.  At least I was hoping it would be a happy accident.

This isn't how I expected this quilt to turn out.  I really wanted to create the star formation (top left corner are the two 'good' blocks) but sigh...it is what it is.  It's a humility quilt and I am reminded that only God is perfect.



I won't be putting a border on it.  I don't have backing or batting but once we land somewhere long enough to acquire some, I will like quilt it on my Janome with a simple stitch in the ditch, bind it and gift it to whoever the Lord reveals it is for.

It's not a bad thing to work on one project at a time.  Who da thunk?

Tomorrow is a travel day so I finished it, packed it away and will be ready to roll out in the morning.

See you at our next destination!

Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment