Saturday, February 12, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday Sew-in!

I'm a week late with my post about my sew-in on Super Bowl Sunday.  It started with an email newsletter from Planet Patchwork talking about a Super Bowl Mystery Quilt.  Here's the link:  http://www.planetpatchwork.com/squarecentermystery/squarecenter1.htm

I invited a quilting friend to join me.  We started at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time.  The first clue was revealed at 10:00 a.m. Eastern time so we had a few clues to catch up on.

I chose deep muted colours (almost Civil War-type colours).  My friend Pam chose bright summery colours.  I had a black background.  She chose a white background.  Our quilts couldn't have been more different from each other.  We had a blast!  I think we finished up the quilt tops at about 10:00 p.m.  I love quick quilt projects.  I'm now hand quilting mine.  Pam is going to machine quilt hers.  It will be interesting to see both quilts side by side, finished.

Anyway, here are some pictures of our progress that day:


Here's the first block ~ Mine above; Pam's below:


Aren't they different??  Here are some other photos as we progressed throughout the L O N G day:


Pam at her machine building blocks.



Me trying to decipher the instructions.  We made a few boo boos along the way, but thankfully they were easy to fix.  Both of us said that we don't ever remember reverse sewing as much as we did on these quilts.  But we got 'er dun!





Gorgeous summer colours don't you think?


At this point in construction we're beginning to put the pattern together and a few more colour placement boo boos are revealed...more reverse sewing...


Pam's top done without borders (total time = 12 hours!)


And my top done without the borders; time = 12 hours!

And finally, my finished top with the borders (Note:  I chose a different border than the mystery).


I'm currently hand quilting mine using Bonnie Hunter's hand-quilted (free hand) baptist fan pattern. I'm using a dark slate blue thread which looks great on all the fabrics in the quilt.  Picture to follow soon.    I'm loving it!  I was wanting to start another hand quilting project.  I love have handwork handy near the TV.  Pam will be machine quilting hers and maybe I can coax her to share a photo on my blog when it's done!

Until next time,

1 comment:

  1. WOW! A quilt top in 12 hours? Amazing... I love both yours and your friends... so interesting to see what different fabric choices will create with the very same pattern. Good job!

    ReplyDelete