Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day!!

How do you celebrate our nation's birthday?  Me?  Well, it started off with a walk with a girlfriend and between us three doggies.  My senior Jack Russell, Sara was very well behaved and so were her two, Biggie and Max.  We walked for about 45 minutes and then I felt the need to drop by Fabricland to see if they had a Canada Day sale on.

They did!  I ended up buying 3 meters of batiks at $8.00/meter so that was just a nice addition to my batik stash and then I spotted a lovely buttery yellow fabric which I thought would pair up nicely with a floral in my stash for a quilt which I saw on Bonnie Hunter's blog, http://quiltville.blogspot.com, which she is calling "Floribunda".  It's a Jacob's Ladder quilt pattern.  There is a picture of an antique quilt that she either found and snapped a photo of or purchased but in any event, she is recreating it and now so am I.

Here's a picture of my first two blocks started today:
I can't get the photo to rotate properly but this will give you an idea of the colours anyway.  it's going to be a gorgeous summertime quilt.  I think I will name mine "Tea Rose" because the colours remind me of the china pattern.

It took me less than an hour to do these two blocks.  It's fast to put together if you're organized.  I had a busy day today and still need to blog about my dinner on my other blog: http://thepantrygourmet.blogspot.com.

Our guests are out downtown and want to watch the Canada Day fireworks tonight which will mean they will be coming in late.  Do you know what this means?  I can sew fairly late tonight.  Let's just hope my energy level permits me to get a few more of these blocks done.

Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for another inspiring blog post.  I didn't really need to start yet another project (UFO) but what the heck!?  I have to follow my inspiration otherwise it's a chore right?  It's like that for me.  I want to sew what inspires me and this quilt will be a beauty!!

Happy Canada Day friends!
Mavis

No comments:

Post a Comment